Can Wisconsin Recall?
It’s on. This is the real thing.
The eyes of the nation turn to Wisconsin today. The recall elections can be seen as a presage of next year’s national contests. They are a referendum on the Republican governance not only of states, but in the House of Representatives. They are a test of the new politics under the Citizens United decision. They are a battle between the muscle of the Tea Party and the idealism of the New Deal, between conservative ideology and what’s left of labor unions in America. Turnout will be the key, so it is a contest too between the enthusiasm of the right from 2010, and that of the newly reënergized left.
If Democrats win three out of these six contests, they will gain control of the Wisconsin state senate.
Wisconsin law allows recall of elected officials only after they’ve been in office at least a year. Since the state assembly is elected every two years (the last election being in November of 2010), only state senators are eligible for recall this year. Governor Scott Walker will be eligible in January of 2012, and — particularly if the Democrats get control of the state senate today — a recall contest seems likely.
Today’s elections, however, still won’t be the last word on the Wisconsin senate. The Democrats were able to trigger six recall elections — but the Republicans responded with three recalls of Democrats. The first of these recall elections was held July 19, and Democrat David Hansen easily trounced challenger David VanderLeest. The final two recall elections targeting sitting Democratic State Senators will be one week from today, on August 16. At that time, it may be possible for Republicans to recapture some ground lost in today’s elections.
The polls close at 8:00 PM CDT. We’ll be posting commentary and results in a fresh post that will appear at 7:30 PM CDT. Please join in the discussion.
- The GOP gets down and dirty in Wisconsin’s recall elections | Daniel Riemer (guardian.co.uk)
- The Importance of Wisconsin’s Recall Elections Tomorrow (crooksandliars.com)
- New wave of Wisconsin recall elections coming Tuesday (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Massive Spending in Wisconsin Recalls (politicalwire.com)
- Tuesday Wisconsin Recall Elections Test Grover Norquist Vision, GOP Tactics (thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot.com)
- The Caucus: Voters Head to Polls in Wisconsin Recall Election (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Wisconsin Recall Election Day (michellemalkin.com)
- Wisconsin recall elections are today — help GOTV now (dailykos.com)
- Nation Watches Recall Races in Wisconisn (politicalwire.com)
- Wisconsin voters go to polls in largest ever recall election — Reuters (news.google.com)
- Six Stats You Need to Know on Election Day in Wisconsin (alternet.org)
- Wisconsin Recall Elections: A Breakdown Of The Races (huffingtonpost.com)
- Voting Underway in the Wisconsin Recalls [Elections] (gawker.com)
- How Historic are the Wisconsin Recall Elections? (politicalwire.com)
About dcpetterson (195 posts)
D. C. Petterson is a novelist and a software consultant in Minnesota who has been writing science fiction since the age of six. He is the author of A Melancholy Humour, Rune Song and Still Life. He lives with his wife, two dogs, two cats, and a lizard, and insists that grandchildren are the reward for having survived teenagers. When not writing stories or software, he plays guitar and piano, engages in political debate, and reads a lot of history and physics texts—for fun. Follow on Twitter @dcpetterson