Archive for January 4, 2012
This morning, Representative Michele Bachmann (R-Stillwater, MN) announced that she is out of the race for President. While some pundits have called this a blow to the Tea Partiers, it’s clear that the Tea Party abandoned her months ago. Their focus seems to be shifting to former Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA). We’ll see how long this new love lasts.
- Bachmann Quits Race (pinkbananaworld.com)
- A Fond Farewell To Michele Bachmann (huffingtonpost.com)
- The end of the road for Bachmann (worldviewtonight.wordpress.com)
- Michele Bachmann Leaves Presidential Race (VIDEO) (ibtimes.com)
- Michele Bachmann Drops Out of US Presidential Race (ibtimes.com)
The Iowa caucuses are over. Turnout was roughly comparable to four years ago, so there doesn’t seem to be any particular enthusiasm surge over 2008. That was a big year for the Iowa caucuses, but it still led to massive Republican defeat nationally the following November.
The latest polls going into the caucuses had been showing a virtual tie between Representative Ron Paul (R-Lake Jackson, TX), former Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA), and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. The polls were, for once, pretty accurate.
What do the scores mean for the candidates left in the running? What do they mean for the rest of the primaries and for the general election next November? (more…)