Republican Convention: Day 4
Tonight’s the night. (Apologies to Neil Young.)
Mitt Romney was a working swain
He used to fire to Economize Bain.
A sparkle was in his eye
‘Cuz Romination was in his hands.
His father, George Romney, never did it, though he came close in 1968. Tonight, former Massachusetts Governor Willard “Mitt” Romney accepts the Republican Party’s nomination to be their candidate for President of the United States of America.
Leading up to that, there’s a Special Mystery Guest (according to FOX News, that will be Clint Eastwood), sandwiched between Taylor Hicks and Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL). Hicks clearly “built it himself” having won fame on a rigged talent contest.
Like New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice did earlier this week, former Florida Governor Jeb Bush will lay down his marker for the 2016 (or 2020) Republican Presidential nomination. The grandson of former Planned Parenthood treasurer and Nazi sympathizer Prescott Bush certainly “built it himself” without access to the family’s connections or oil money, just like his brother, George W., who built the Texas Rangers (and their stadium) himself. Jeb’s father, President George H.W. Bush, was born on third base (convinced he hit a triple) so he bought W a baseball team. A little-known fact about President George W. Bush is that he played all nine positions on the Rangers, outpitching Nolan Ryan, and far outstripping his father’s ability to “build it himself”.
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who built the Capitol building himself using well-paid non-union labor, will also speak.
Here’s the rundown for tonight. Come join us and make comments as the night moves to its inevitable Rominatory conclusion.
7:00 PM EDT
- Representative Connie Mack, IV (R-Fort Myers, FL)
- Video on the Reagan Legacy
- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Callista Gingrich
- Craig Romney
8:00 PM EDT
- Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush
- Romney campaign chairman Bob White
- Grant Bennett
- Tom Stemberg
9:00 PM EDT
- Former Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey
- Former Massachusetts Secretary of Workforce Jane Edmonds
- Olympians Michael Eruzione, Derek Parra and Kim Rhode
10:00 PM EDT
- Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL)
- Mitt Romney
- Jeb Bush To Republicans: Stop Being Stupid On Immigration (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Jeb Bush chides Republicans to stop ‘acting stupid’ with Hispanic voters (mcclatchydc.com)
- Clint Eastwood To Speak At Republican Convention on Thursday: Report (deadline.com)
- Mitt’s choice: Dis Marco Rubio in primetime, or let Jeb Bush give Ann Romney RNC speaking slot? (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- GOPers to Mitt: Avoid immigration (politico.com)
- As FBI and questions swirl, Marco Rubio keeps distance from “Nixonian” pal David Rivera (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Final Night of the Republican Convention Features Rubio and Romney (whitehouse12.com)