Open Mic August 31
The news cycle was dominated by Hurricane Isaac and the Republican National Convention. Writers and reporters put away the word “presumptive” for another four years; Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are now officially nominees. Next week, the Democrats get their turn, but it probably won’t involve Clint Eastwood talking to an empty chair, a performance that Arizona Governor Jan Brewer thought was “absolutely terrific”.
Politico asks six questions about the Romney acceptance speech:
- Does he pass the get-it test?
- Does he make a coherent case for his candidacy?
- Would you want to share a caffeine-free Diet Coke with that guy?
- Can he make his résumé relevant?
- Does he get the details right?
- Do listeners cringe?
- Does he surprise us?
The Labor Day weekend is upon us. Answer these questions, or any others that suit your fancy, or pose questions of your own. Or even — gasp — something not about the upcoming elections!What’s on your mind?
Don’t see an article on a particular topic, but want to talk about it somewhere? This is Open Mic. Talk about whatever you want, but stay respectful.
We create a new Open Mic every week to give a clean slate, but feel free to add to this topic at any time.
- The First Scandal of 2016
- Math Beat Ideology
- Election Watch: Election Day
- Romney’s Tax Plan: You Can’t Get There from Here
- The Romney Plan: Winners and Losers
- Reëlection Watch: October 27, 2012
- Faith, Hope and Charity
- October Surprise: Romney Endorses Obama!
- Reëlection Watch: October 20, 2012