Presidential Debate 3
Bob Schieffer moderates the third and final Presidential debate, which is hosted by Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida.
The topic tonight is scheduled to be “foreign policy” but given the last two Presidential and sole Vice-Presidential debates, who knows? They may go completely off-script and decide to discuss underwear or binders.
The format is supposed to be identical to the first Presidential debate, which was moderated by punching bag Jim Lehrer of PBS. We all know how well that went.
Maybe it was unclear what the format of the first debate was supposed to be. According to the Commission on Presidential Debates website, the 90 minutes beginning at 9 pm EDT, 6 pm PDT is to be:
…divided into six time segments of approximately 15 minutes each on topics to be selected by the moderator and announced several weeks before the debate.
The moderator will open each segment with a question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the topic.
Tonight’s moderator is already prepared for a Schieffer-storm of criticism from both sides. According to Politico, both campaigns are running roughshod over the rules they’ve set forth in a complicated Memorandum of Understanding, and then both campaigns are blaming the moderator for any perceived deficiencies in the debate format or procedure.
Tom Brokaw, moderator of the town-hall format 2008 debate, was interviewed by Politico:
Partisan feelings and emotions reach thermonuclear temperatures in these debates and if your candidate isn’t doing well, blame the umpire. Bob’s richly deserved reputation for fairness, intelligence and professionalism will serve him well, but not even that will immunize him from attacks of some kind.
What will happen with tonight’s rules? Will they be followed, or quickly discarded in favor of a free-for-all in which Schieffer gets trampled? Will Schieffer assert more control than his predecessor, Jim Lehrer? With the scorecard according to pundits at one win for Romney and one for Obama, who will take the rubber match?
The Disqus comment engine will be turned on today for the penultimate time (the last scheduled Disqus use by Logarchism is for Election Day). Comments on previous threads will be temporarily unavailable.
- Something you should know about Bob Schieffer
- For debate, Bob Schieffer has the best seat in the house
- The Biz: Bob Schieffer Preps for Final Presidential Debate
- Schieffer: Debate Moderators Get Too Much Focus
- Schieffer in middle seat at last debate
- The Five’s Warning To Bob Schieffer For Final Debate: ‘Get Out Of The Way’
- Presidential Foreign Policy Debate Topics Announced
2012 Presidential Election Arizona Barack Obama Congress Debt Ceiling Democratic Dow Jones Industrial Average Florida George W. Bush Global Warming Government spending Gross domestic product Herman Cain Income tax John Boehner Jon Huntsman libya Medicare Michele Bachmann Minnesota Mitt Romney NASA Nate Silver Newt Gingrich New York Times Osama bin Laden Patient Protection And Affordable Care Act Paul Ryan Rand Paul Republican Republicans Rick Perry Rick Santorum Ronald Reagan Ron Paul Same-sex marriage Sarah Palin Senate Supreme Court Supreme Court of the United States Tea Party Tea Party movement Texas Tim Pawlenty Unemployment United States United States Congress United States Senate United States Supreme Court Wisconsin
- channelclemente Nobody can introduce a clean Bill anymore. So little legislative traffic is going through Congress, that any Bill with a hope of passage […] 4 minutes ago
- channelclemente Grog,I for one don't object to you, it's your POV I find loathsome. You have no idea how uncomfortable it was to tell that lie. 8 minutes ago
- Mainer Hell shorts I think I'm one of those living in tax purgatory of which you speak. Between SS, Maine State retirement, my military retirement […] 35 minutes ago
- dcpetterson PWS re #48You didn't mean that sarcastically, did you? 1 hour ago
- dcpetterson Yet you appeared to be fine with Whitehouse doing just that.Please point out where and when he did that. 1 hour ago
- PWS Michael re #47. I'm from the East Coast. I drank in sarcasm with my mother's milk. 1 hour ago
- Monotreme rgbact,I believe you misunderstood me. I have read Senator Coburn's position on Sandy (it's linked in the article above). I want to hear […] 2 hours ago
- shortchain GROG,I also appreciate your posts even when I disagree with them.And I'd like to say that I completely agree with your comment that the tax […] 2 hours ago
- rgbact OK, then please abstract for me the “scam that is disaster funding”. I’m all ears.Coburn puts it pretty well below.The money is already […] 2 hours ago
- Max I, too, wish to add my lachrymose appeal for GROG not to leave. This would be so much more a boring site without him. 2 hours ago
- Ballot Watch (21)
- Breaking News (47)
- Conspiracies (9)
- Economy (15)
- Election Reform (1)
- Meme Watch (8)
- Old Time Religion (8)
- Open Mic (107)
- Political Platypus (43)
- Poll (2)
- Reelection Watch (45)
- Republican 2012 Presidential Nomination (98)
- Security (2)
- Senate Watch (29)
- September 11 (7)
- Supreme Court Watch (76)
- Talking Heads (32)
- Uncategorized (650)
- Wisconsin Recall Elections (11)