The Papa State
Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter touched off a political firestorm last week by announcing he felt the onerous yoke of The Man’s oppression because of an Obamacare requirement that his business provide health care to full-time employees.
Schnatter claimed the cost of providing health care to his employees would raise the cost of a pizza by 11–14 cents. (Forbes calculates the PPACA-related necessary price increase at a nickel.) A group formed immediately after President Obama’s reëlection, @Reboot_USA, set up a Facebook page (now apparently disabled or deleted) and called for “Papa John’s Appreciation Day” for Friday, November 16.
In a word, nothing.
The suggested Twitter hashtag (i.e. sort of a subject label on a Twitter post), #IStandWithPapaJohns, only got used by a handful of unique Twitter users on the appointed day, gaining nary a centiBieber of Twitter traffic. The vast majority of tweets using the hashtag were excoriating the company or its owner. A Google search produces no news reports on or after Friday.
It appears that the attempt to gather together villagers with pitchforks and lighted torches was generally unsuccessful. Apparently, the American people consider Obamacare protests a dead letter.
What do Logarchism readers think?
Do employers (or franchise owners with over 50 employees, in this case) have a responsibility to provide health care for their full-time employees?
Is there a better system? What alternative would you recommend? If each individual is responsible for his own health care, then should we also repeal the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA), signed into law by President Reagan in 1986? (The cost of providing emergency medical care to uninsured patients is estimated to cost hospitals about 20 percent of their revenue annually, essentially a 20 percent tax on health care costs.) Is a 0.7 percent tax on pizza more onerous than a 20 percent tax on health care?
Is this just more Astroturfing, or do the villagers’ torches illuminate a real issue?
- Libs call for boycott of Papa John’s as CEO anticipates cut in workers’ hours (hot1041stl.com)
- John Schnatter — @IAmPapaJohn: Greedy Bastard (mbcalyn.com)
- The Side-Eye: CEO Of Papa John’s Says Pizza Prices Will Hike And Employees Will Get Fired Due To President Obama’s Re-Election (bossip.com)
- Papa John’s Pizza To Fire Workers Over ObamaCares (theobamacrat.com)
- Breaking Down Centi-Millionaire ‘Papa’ John Schnatter’s Obamacare Math (forbes.com)
- CEO of Papa John’s says employees’ hours will likely be cut due to ObamaCare costs (foxnews.com)
- Conservatives Launch Papa John’s Appreciation Day (askmarion.wordpress.com)
- Papa John’s bad Obamacare math (salon.com)